PSICAT is a free, open source application available for macOS and Windows for core lithologic description.
PSICAT has a number of key features that make it particularly useful for the drilling/coring scientific community:
- Built to fit the workflow of core description — section-by-section in the lab
- FGDC standards-based controlled vocabularies and patterns for lithologies and features by default
- Customizable if additional or modified lithologies/features/patterns are needed, for improved characterization of specific lithologies, or support for additional disciplines
- Back-end database references descriptive comments and features to core depth, for consistent ingest to data systems and direct comparison with analytical data tied to core depth
- Utilizes core metadata to automate assembly of complete stratigraphic columns from descriptions of individual sections of core
- Exports PDFs of core descriptions
- Exports descriptions in spreadsheet format, tied to section depth, for direct comparison with other core datasets, optimized searching, and import to databases
- Exports spliced (composite) stratigraphic columns from multiple cored holes
- Real-time and batch-process error checking, to ensure data quality
PSICAT was developed by and for the drilling/coring scientific community. Primary development by J.Reed for ANDRILL. Now supported by CSDCO/LacCore and used in every project at the Facility and increasingly by the scientific community in their home institutions.
Submit feature requests or bug reports: PSICAT Feedback Form